VINTAGE CLAUDE
My first bike. Circa 1976, was a Claude Butler, similar to the above. I couldn't stretch to a Holdsworth, so saved up my pennies from my odd jobs @ Dad's shop, and bought one of these from the hardcore cycle shop at the end of our road. I remember pawing over brochures for weeks before deciding on which model. IIRC, it cost about £180. It had Reynolds 531 double butted tubing, Campagnolo gears, probably weinmann side pull brakes, a Campag 2/5 chanset(?) and pedals with cages & leather QR straps. I thought I was the bees knees.
I stupidly sold it when I got to uni, to buy my first Motorcycle. See this post.
Later on, in about 1981, living in Manchester, I bought a Raleigh Record Ace with a huge frame, cos it was cheap, & they couldn't sell it. I cycled this huge beast all the way to Crete (with a little help from railways & ferries :-))
I remember breaking spokes regularly, as I was a little plump, & the gear I loaded onto the bike included a tent, a cooker, all my clothes & a garlic press. This wasn't a problem, as every little French village had a bike mechanic. The gauge on the spokes varied so much by the time I got to Greece, that they resembled a harp more than bike wheels.
I recall the odd greeny gold paintjob fondly.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home