Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Ivor Cutler, No, I am not a nutter

Thanks to Nick for pointing me in the direction of the Telegraph Obit for Ivor Cutler , who died on Friday last.
I'll take the liberty of posting some of it here: -

Cutler would ask his audience to consider, for example, the hygienic way to drink water from the gutter, or the erotic joys to be derived from sitting in a bowl of shredded wheat. One story, in its entirety, reads: "The meeting of their bodies gave her more pleasure than she would have believed possible. I'm glad I'm a spider, she whispered."

His songs, of which there are more than 300, are not misrepresented by this refrain: "What happens to sharks when they're old? / They don't just fade away / What happens to sharks when they're old? / I'd rather not say." New Statesman & Society commented: "The deceptive, almost oriental simplicity of his [works]… often cause their simplicity to go unnoticed."

It was once said of Ivor Cutler that he was "a man for whom the tag 'eccentric' seems pitifully inadequate". He himself said: "I don't work in a way that is socially useful, but I do say things obliquely about society… Yes, I am an eccentric. No, I am not a nutter.


you can see a list of his works here .

He was a truly great man, the like of which I cannot name.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home