Thursday, May 11, 2006

Ruth Kelly on Homosexuality

thanks to the Indy for an interesting article about our new Minister for Equality. to Quote: -

The newly appointed government minister responsible for equality is facing controversy after she refused to say whether she believed homosexuality was a sin

Ruth Kelly, speaking to Nicky Campbell on Radio Five Live: -

Nicky Campbell: As minister for Women and Equality with your deeply held religious beliefs and membership to the Opus Dei group of Catholics... do you think homosexuality is a sin?

Ruth Kelly: I'm sort of getting used to these questions... about what it's like to be a Catholic in the middle of government.

NC: I'm not asking about that...

RK: That's exactly what you are asking, is it possible to be a practising Catholic and hold a portfolio in government? The answer is yes. Why? Because I'm collectively responsible for cabinet decisions and I firmly believe in equality...

NC: Do you think homosexuality is a sin?

RK: I don't think it's right for politicians to start making moral judgements about people ... What I think the question is, is what are my political views? Those are the ones that I'm accountable for to the public. As a politician I think everybody should be free from discrimination.

Speaking to Kay Burley on Lunchtime Live on Sky News

Kay Burley: What are your views on homosexuality?

RK: As Equality minister I'm delighted to be taking on this brief. I was the minister who set up the equality review...

KB: OK. What are your views on homosexuality?

RK: Well, as I say I don't think people with different sexual orientations ought to be discriminated against in society and as a politician I will make it my responsibility and duty to ensure I have a society which is tolerant, which is fair...

KB: In May 2002 I believe that you voted against same sex couples being able to adopt. Is that right?

RK: Look, people have private views which they express in the House of Commons on votes of conscience in the usual way as members of Parliament. As a member of the Government, I have collective cabinet responsibility...

KB: No, no no... you are the Equality minister. It's not collective responsibility. It's up to you to make sure everyone is treated equally...

RK: And I will do that.

I think I'll open a book for how long she'll last. Surely every interview she gives from now on will feature the same sort of line of questioning?

Read the whole article here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home