Tuesday, September 08, 2026

KNEECAP & (Film review - spoilers)


I've just bought tickets to see Kneecap when they play Swansea Arena on their World tour. they are an unlikely, and sometimes controversial Hip-Hop trio, who rap in Gaelic and English. they consist of Mo Chara ("My Friend" in Irish), Naoise Iarla Ó Cairealláin, better known by his stage name Móglaí Bap, (He had a haircut like a bread roll crossed with Mowgli from the jungle book) and James John "JJ" Ó Dochartaigh, ( O'Docherty to you) known by his stage name DJ Próvaí, an ironic reference to the Provisional IRA. They made headlines recently by waving a palestinian flag at Glasto. Also:-

e,g. During their performance at Coachella, the Irish rap trio displayed screens reading "Israel is committing genocide" and led crowds in "Free Palestine" chants. This drew severe backlash and calls from figures like Sharon Osbourne to revoke their US visas. 

Chatting to Stu H, my gig buddy with immaculate taste, he mentioned that they were featured in a film about their genesis, so, I had a look. 

It's a funny, crazy, and sometimes touching story of 3 guys finding purpose in the Gaeltacht of Belfast. There is a fair bit of bad language, a bit of sex, & lots of drug use, but I guess that's how it was. I'm sure it's a dramatisation of the events, but the bones of the story is true. It turns out that the balaclava was a way of disguising JJ, as he was working as a music teacher at the time - he was of course, sacked. 

There is a few similarities to another good film chronicling life in Belfast - Good Vibrations. I thouroughly enjoyed it, and laughed out loud several times. 8/10




I'll let you know how the gig goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home